Woodland Church History
On July 26, 1981 tragedy struck the church. An electrical malfunction caused a fire that destroyed the attached Sunday school rooms and damaged the Fellowship Hall. Church was still held on Sunday.
In 1883, the present church was built. Electricity was installed with a remodeling in 1941. The church was referred to as "the church built beside a graveyard". This was due to early families being buried by the church. However, today it is known as "The Friendly Church by the River "because of the proximity to the Nanticoke River.
The church has had some upgrades, but the stained glass windows from 1951 are still admired, the originalgas ceiling lamps, now electrified, and original oil lamp brackets adorn the windows.
The congregation is very industrious. The very first dinner was held in the hall that was a dirt floor. The main course was shad from the river. The cost was a quarter a person.
The community tradition continues with chicken dinners once a month, throughout the winter season. (Check Calendar For Current Dinner Dates.)
Seaford, DE 19973
Directions: Mapquest Google Maps
Worship: 9:00AM Sundays